[Fuuk-ext-l] Invitation to Seminar of Institute of Physics, MFF UK, on Tue 26.10. from 14:00, speaker Ing. Jakub Železný, Ph.D.

Jaroslav Hamrle hamrle na karlov.mff.cuni.cz
Pondělí Říjen 25 09:04:05 CEST 2021

Dear colleagues,

It is my pleasure to invite you to Seminar of Institute of Physics of
Charles University, entitled:

*Spin currents and spin-torques in antiferromagnets*

Speaker: Ing. Jakub Železný, Ph.D.
<https://www.fzu.cz/lide/ing-jakub-zelezny-phd>

Time:  Tuesday 26.10.2021 from 14:00

Place: Seminar room of Institute of Physics F285 (atelier) , second
floor, Ke Karlovu 5, Prague

/Abstract://
/

/Conventional microelectronics based on semiconductors has been hugely
successful, but it is reaching its physical limits. This accelerates the
search for alternative technologies that could replace it. One such
alternative is based on utilizing the spin of the electron in addition
to its charge: a field known as spintronics. So far, spintronics has
been mainly utilized in memories, but possible applications in
processors or neuromorphic computing are also explored. Spintronics is
typically based on ferromagnetic materials, but recently
antiferromagnetic materials (materials that have a long-range magnetic
order, but no net magnetic moment) have attracted attention since they
have various possible advantages for spintronics such as a fast
switching speed./

/Here we review recent progress in the understanding of how
antiferromagnets can be utilized for spintronics. Although in simple
antiferromagnets many of the key spintronics phenomena vanish, we show
that in low symmetry or non-collinear antiferromagnets, most of the
effects that exist in ferromagnets, are also present. For example, we
have shown that in some antiferromagnets, electrical current is
spin-polarized or that they can generate pure spin currents. We also
demonstrate that these spin currents can generate a spin-torque, which
can be used to control the orientation of the antiferromagnetic order,
analogously to ferromagnetic materials./

With my best regards

Jaroslav Hamrle

--
Mgr. Jaroslav Hamrle, Ph.D.