[Fuuk-ext-l] Invitation to Seminar of Institute of Physics, MFF UK, on Tue 1.11. from 14:00, speaker RNDr. Martin Kozák, Ph.D.

Jaroslav Hamrle hamrle na karlov.mff.cuni.cz
Pondělí Listopad 1 08:31:37 CET 2021

Dear colleagues,

It is my pleasure to invite you to Seminar of Institute of Physics of
Charles University, entitled:

*Optical control of free electron beams – from inelastic scattering to
quantum coherent interaction*

Speaker: RNDr. Martin Kozák, Ph.D.
<https://physics.mff.cuni.cz/kchfo/ooe/kozak/>

Time:  Tuesday 1.11.2021 from 14:00

Place: Seminar room of Institute of Physics F285 (atelier) , second
floor, Ke Karlovu 5, Prague

/Abstract://
/

/The natural time scales of electron wave packet dynamics in atoms,
molecules, and solids lie in the attosecond time domain (1 as=10^−18 s).
On the other hand, the spatial dimensions of electron orbitals are of
the order of tens of picometers corresponding to the resolution of
state-of-the-art electron microscopes. The combination of atomic spatial
and attosecond temporal resolutions can be provided by highly coherent
pulsed electron beams with density profiles modulated in the time domain
by the interaction with coherent light fields.
/

/In this talk I will discuss the interaction of electrons with the
ponderomotive potential of an optical travelling wave generated by
two-color laser fields in vacuum. I will show that such process can
efficiently accelerate sub-relativistic electrons and in the same time
it can serve for generation and detection of attosecond electron pulse
trains. Apart from classical scattering regime, this technique offers an
opportunity for quantum coherent modulation of electron wavefunction in
time domain, which can be considered as a generalization of
Kapitza-Dirac experiment. By using tailored light fields, more advanced
spatio-temporal shaping of electron wavepackets is possible, such as
generation of isolated attosecond electron pulses or electron vortex
states./

With my best regards

Jaroslav Hamrle

--